Nobody wants receding gums. Even beyond the way it affects your smile, gum recession can be a sign of gum disease or have other serious effects on the health of your mouth. Here are just some of the reasons gum recession should be promptly treated:
- Your gum recession may be a symptom of gum disease, which can have serious effects on your health. Treating gum recession may involve treating gum disease first.
- Gum recession can lead to loose teeth. Treating recession will help you keep your teeth longer.
- Exposed root surfaces increases the risk of damage and decay to these areas.
- When gum recession exposes the root of the tooth, it can increase sensitivity to heat and cold. Treating gum recession can help you avoid or counteract these painful conditions.
- Healthy gums are a key ingredient to a healthy, beautiful smile.
Gum Recession Treatment in Tinton Falls, NJ
Dr. Jeffrey Zatzkin offers a number of treatment options for gum recession. As a periodontist, Dr. Zatzkin specializes in the health of the gums and will evaluate your individual case to help you choose the best treatment option for you. Treatments may include the following:
- Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™)
- Periodontal therapy
- Gum grafting
- Preventative measures may include switching to a soft bristled toothbrush, an electric toothbrush, or changing your brushing technique.
Importance of Treating Gum Recession
When the gums pull away from the teeth, it exposes your teeth to a number of harmful and painful conditions, including gum disease, loose teeth, and increased sensitivity to heat and cold. Your gums will not naturally correct their recession with better home care. If you are experiencing increased sensitivity, loose teeth, or can notice the gums covering less of your teeth, contact Dr. Zatzkin to discover your options for gum recession treatment in Tinton Falls, NJ.